Do you want to build muscle and improve your tricep strength? If so, you’re going to love the overhead tricep extension! This exercise is a great way to target your tricep muscles and is highly effective for building muscle mass.
The triceps are one of the largest muscles in your upper arm so training them is crucial for doing daily activities with ease. Strong tricep muscles are also important for doing weight training more effectively.
The overhead triceps extension is a compound exercise that targets many muscle groups in your upper body. These include your shoulders and core for stabilizing the movement. To perform this move while standing, you only require a dumbbell. For seated variation, you also need a flat bench. This exercise can also be performed at your home or a nearby park as minimum space and equipment are required.
In this article, we’ll explain the benefits of doing the overhead tricep extension, and provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to do it properly. Along with some variations you can try and helpful tips.
Benefits Of Overhead Tricep Extension
Below are the major benefits of doing the overhead tricep extension exercise with the correct technique. The mentioned benefits are genuine and backed by many researchers.
1. Builds Your Tricep Muscles
Adding this move to your workout routine will help in toning your arm muscles. The overhead tricep extension targets all three heads of your tricep muscles. Training your triceps develops strength and increases the size of your arms. It also improves the flexibility of your arms and increases the range of motion. Stronger tricep muscles are important for supporting other upper-body compound exercises. They’re also required in doing daily activities like lifting heavy weights or sports activities.
2. Can Be Easily Performed
You only need a dumbbell to perform the standing variation of this exercise. For the seated variation, you’ll require a flat bench along with a dumbbell. The weight of the dumbbell should be according to your fitness level. Due to this, the overhead tricep extension can be performed anywhere as less space and equipment are needed. You can also add this exercise to your home workout for easier time management.
3. Variety Of Variations
There are many variations of this exercise that helps in keeping your workout challenging and exciting. Some of these variations include the cable extension, tricep pushdown, and skull crushers. These exercises primarily target your triceps and engage other muscles for stabilizing the exercise. Some of these variations can only be performed at a fitness center as heavy machines are required.
4. Targets Many Muscles Groups
Doing this exercise not only benefits your triceps but also targets your shoulders and core. Working out multiple muscle groups in your body helps in burning a large number of calories. Strengthening the major muscles of your upper body also develops your aesthetics and improves the agility of your muscles. Stronger shoulders and abdominal muscles are important for doing sports activities and weight-lifting exercises.
Step By Step Instructions
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to perform the overhead tricep extension properly. Following these instructions will improve your form and maximize your results. Doing this exercise with the correct technique is necessary to prevent injuries.
1. Using dumbbells or kettlebells is the most common way of doing the overhead tricep extension. You can do this move either while sitting or standing. Start this exercise by standing tall with your feet hip-width apart.
2. Hold a dumbbell above your head by placing your hands on the inside dumbbell plate. Grasp the inside plate surface with both hands. Engage your core and keep your back straight. Now, bend your elbows to lower the weight behind your head in your range of motion. Breathe in as you lower the dumbbell. Keep the motion stable and controlled.
3. Hold the position when the dumbbell reaches the lowest point. Extend your elbows to raise the weights back to the starting position. Breathe out as you lift the dumbbell from the bottom. This is one repetition of the overhead tricep extension.
4. Try doing 3-4 sets of 10-15 repetitions with moderate weights. Choose a weight that allows you to do this exercise in a proper form.
Below are some simple tips to do the overhead tricep extension safely and effectively. Following these tips will prevent the common mistakes that happen while performing this move. Preventing mistakes reduces the risk of injuries and maximizes results.
1. Don’t lock your elbows as it can put stress on your joints. Keeping a slight bend in your elbows maintains the tension in your triceps. This helps in getting the most out of the exercise.
2. Always keep your elbows at the side of your head to reduce stress on your shoulder blades.
3. If you’re a beginner make sure to use weights according to your strength. Also, perform the exercise under the supervision of a fitness coach or gym trainer.
Variations Of The Overhead Tricep Extension
Below are the best variants of the overhead tricep extension that can be a great fit for your workout routine
1. Skull Crushers
The skull crunches also known as lying tricep extensions is a weight training exercise that is performed using a barbell. This move primarily works the three heads of your tricep muscles. The other muscle groups that are engaged to support the movement are your shoulders and core. Doing skull crushers helps in developing strength and endurance in your triceps. Strong triceps are important for doing many sports activities like basketball and boxing. You can use a variety of equipment to perform this exercise like dumbbells, straight barbell, or EZ bar.
2. Overhead Tricep Cable Extension
The cable variation of the overhead tricep extension is an isolation exercise that targets the long head of your triceps. Training the long head gives your triceps a toned and muscular appearance. This move is a great fit for different upper body and pressing workouts. Performing the overhead cable tricep extension also improves stability in your elbow joints. Improving stability in your joints reduces the risk of injuries and allows you to lift heavy weights.
The overhead tricep extension is one of the best moves for isolating your triceps. This exercise is an alternative to standard tricep extension and tricep kickbacks. It also activates your shoulders and core to support the movement. Training multiple muscles together can help in losing weight and delivers an aesthetic physique. Movement of this exercise develops stability in your joints which prevents injuries and increases range of motion. The overall benefits of the overhead tricep extension make it a great fit for your workout routine.