In today’s time, living an unhealthy lifestyle has become so common. Eating junk food and not doing any physical activity is a new trend. But if you’re following this trend then you’ll face a big problem known as obesity.
According to the studies conducted in 2020 by the World Health Organization (WHO), 72% of men and 63% of women are overweight or obese around the world. Obesity can lead to many chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, heart diseases, thyroid, etc.
The best and the most healthy solution for obesity is weight loss.
Weight loss is the method to burn excess fat from your body to lower your weight or to reach a healthier weight which is perfect for your body. Weight loss can be achieved by doing physical activities or by following a diet program.
Let’s first talk about how physical activities can help you with weight loss.
Physical activities are body movements that are performed to do certain tasks or activities. Let’s learn about how it burns calories.
When you perform any sort of activity like walking or jumping, your body uses energy which is made by burning calories. Your body gets its calories from the food you eat so to lose weight you have to create a calorie deficit. To create a calorie deficit you have to burn more calories than you consume for example if you consume 1500 calories then you have to burn 1800 calories to create a calorie deficit of 300 calories. The calories which are burned in calorie deficit comes from the excess fat from your body.
Doing different types of physical activities will help you to create a calorie deficit faster and also helps in strengthening various muscle groups. Some of the best physical activities known for weight loss are:
Running is the best and most easy form of cardio exercise for weight loss as it requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Running involves many health benefits like better cardiovascular health, strengthening of bones and muscles, increase immunity, and promotes weight loss. Studies have shown that running for 30 minutes a day improves your mental and physical health and also increases your life expectancy by 27 percent.
Cycling is a healthy and most effective aerobic exercise which is performed by many people around the world. This exercise strengthens the major muscle groups of your body. One of the great advantages of cycling is weight loss. Riding a bike for an hour can burn up to 400 to 800 calories, depending on your speed. You can lose one pound of your weight every week by doing one hour of cycling every day.
Playing different sports activities like football, basketball, boxing, swimming, tennis, cricket, and hockey, etc, will help you in burning a large number of calories. Sports activities increase the rate of metabolism in your body which promotes weight loss. The best sports activity for burning body fat is swimming. This sports activity requires the movement of every muscle to propel your body in water.
4) Weight training:
Weight training is a type of strength training that involves weights for muscle development. Weight training exercises involving heavyweights burns more calories than cardio exercises as high tension is generated in your muscles. Adding both cardio and weight training exercises to your workout will improve your strength and tone your muscles, giving you an aesthetic physique.
Dieting is a technique to control your calorie intake which is mostly performed for losing or gaining weight. You can control your calorie intake for weight loss by consuming low-calorie food or by eating a few meals and fasting for the rest of the hours. Consuming fewer calories will make it easy for you to create a calorie deficit for weight loss for example if you’re consuming 1000 calories than 1500 then to create a calorie deficit of 500 calories you’ll need to burn 1500 calories than 2000. Combining both physical activities with a weight loss diet will bring faster and better results.
Many diets focus on weight loss some of the best are:
1) Keto Diet:
The ketogenic diet is a low carb, high fat diet performed for losing weight and toning muscles. A lower intake of carbohydrates puts your body into a metabolic state known as ketosis. Normally your body burns less fat and higher carbs but in ketosis, your body focuses more on fat burn. Following the ketogenic diet also helps to control blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and cholesterol. Studies have shown that people following the keto diet burned 5 times more fat than people following a low carb diet.
2) Intermittent Fasting:
Intermittent fasting is a type of eating pattern which is followed by many fitness enthusiasts around the world. In intermittent fasting, you consume your meals according to your scheduled time and fast for the remaining hours. Most people fast for 12-16 hours a day, for example, you can fast from 5 pm to 8 am which is the best period for fasting. When you fast you’ll reduce your calorie intake which will help you to lose excess fat from your body.
3) Paleo Diet:
The paleo diet is based on what our ancestors used to eat thousands of years ago. This diet restricts the consumption of processed food items and focuses on whole wheat food, fruits, nuts, eggs, meat, and healthy fat and oils. Many studies have shown that following this diet helps in weight loss and cause a major health improvement. Following this diet will increase your immunity and life expectancy as you’ll not be consuming any unhealthy food.
4) Mediterranean diet:
Mediterranean diet is a little similar to the paleo diet as it limits the consumption of processed food items but unlike the paleo diet, it does not involve restriction of dairy products and food grains from your diet. According to some studies the Mediterranean diet has many health benefits like controlled blood sugar levels, lower risk of chronic diseases, and higher energy levels. Weight loss is one of the best benefits of this diet as only a limited amount of fat is consumed which is necessary for your body.
Weight Loss Tips:
1) Always try to burn calories at a moderate pace like burning 200-300 calories more than you consume is great but creating a big calorie deficit of 500-700 calories can result in rapid weight loss which can cause many side effects like loss of muscle mass, fatigue, dizziness, stretch marks, etc.
2) Drinking water before meals can help you in weight loss as when you drink water it increases your metabolism rate by 25-30% which is great for shredding some calories from your body. Studies have shown that drinking 500ml of water 30 mins before consuming your meals can help you in better digestion and burn 45% more calories than people who don’t drink water before meals. According to WHO, drinking 3.7-4 liters of water for men and 2.7-3 liters of water for women is necessary for your body.
3) Consuming high protein food in your breakfast is great for muscle development and weight loss. You can eat eggs, meat, cheese, yogurt, milk, soy, and other high protein food items. According to experts, replacing grain-based breakfast with high protein will provide you with many health benefits and will burn 30% more excess fat from your body.
4) A cup of coffee contains many antioxidants and a high amount of caffeine which increases your rate of metabolism by 10-15% and your fat burning by 20-30%. Drinking a cup of coffee every day has numerous health benefits for example it increases your energy levels by 60%, helps in sugar level management, fights heart diseases, and can help you to live longer.
5) Processed sugar is one of the worst ingredients present in your food. It is the biggest reason for obesity and many chronic diseases like diabetes and heart-related problems. Decreasing your sugar intake will help you in losing weight and boost your energy levels.